Skip to main content

10 incredibly vague ways to [possibly] improve your life, maybe

Have you noticed the sudden change on our Facebook newsfeeds? Since the start of the new year, stale memes have been unceremoniously ejected from the website in favour of what I like to call 'ten-thing articles'. You've seen them; articles from Upworthy or Buzzfeed that tell us about the 'things every university student does' or 'ten ways to get really fit' or even 'eighteen super cute baby animals that will DEFINITELY cheer you up'. And that's cool! I like articles, I like lists, and I like pictures; combined, they make something that is guaranteed to amuse me for at least twenty seconds.

Sometimes, however, certain articles - specifically the self-help or mood-booster ones - seem incredibly vague and largely uninspiring. Maybe you read one and think, "Yes! Drinking more water will make me feel better!" Then, four seconds after reading the article, the motivation vanishes and you find yourself downing yet another cup of triple-strength coffee. Why? Because these articles are stale. They may be newly-published and have super-modern GIFs to amuse us, but we've received all this advice before in magazines, newspapers, BBC news segments, that one friend who's always going on about the latest health- or mood-boosting fad, everywhere. It's almost as if the creators of these ten-thing articles know that these things won't really improve our lives all that much, but continue to churn them out because it's all we see in media. Stroke an animal! Drink more water! Cut out carbs! Whatever it is, it probably won't work out for the vast majority of us. Why? Because it's too vague, too stale. We might have a fleeting moment of motivation after reading a ten-thing article, but not enough to actually, well, do anything!

That's why I reckon that ten-thing article writers need to get more creative, more specific. Drink more water? Give a little more instruction! 'Drink more water. Or your favourite juice! Hell, get yourself a blender. Right now.' Or, give people advice that you follow. We are a nation of advice-givers, but not advice-followers. Having said that, surely we must follow some of our own advice, right? If so, write it down and inspire others to do it! If you write an article about the benefits of drinking eight glasses of water when in reality you only drink an alarming amount of Earl Grey tea, then you're unlikely to inspire others. Motivate others with your own motivation. That's what I reckon these ten-thing articles should do.

I probably should drink more water, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A brief description of one person's version of depression

Hello, friendlings and/or people I’m only still friends with on Facebook because you post bang tidy strong memes. I’m going to chuck you right into this blog post: I've just forced myself to go on antidepressants. Whoa!  I ain’t gonna bore you with the origin story of my mental woes, mostly because I’m saving it all until whoever directed the latest Guardians of the Galaxy decides he fancies bringing my brain to the big screen. Nah, I’m gonna chuck you straight into the – deep end? I mean, I want to say ‘deep end’, but in reality my depression is essentially just me floating around in a Frozen -themed paddling pool and occasionally nearly drowning in a centimetre of water like an inept toddler.  I suppose that’s the tricky thing about depression, really. For most of those reading this, you’re gonna be like, “Wait, what? How on earth can she have depression when I can clearly remember her smiling approximately seven months ago?”   That’s just it, really. My depress...

"Bloody hot, isn't it?"

Despite being the most overused topic of all when it comes to the inane world of small talk, discussing the weather is probably the best social shortcut of all time. If the weather is slightly different from usual or has been the same for too long, you can bet your left buttock that everyone will be talking about it. Take our current heatwave, for example. #Sunny is trending on Twitter. Your Facebook news feed has been graffitied by an onslaught of tiny little sun emojis on every status in sight. Every conversation you have had since the start of this warm period has started exactly like this: "Weather, eh?" And you know what? I love it. Not the heatwave, that is, but the inane conversations. As the Welsh equivalent of a vampire, I absolutely can't stand the sun, but I do appreciate the fact that I can put even less brainpower into socialising now that every conversation is dominated by the topic of weather. On a dull, cloudy day, no one wants to talk about the weathe...